With a wedding to go to in 2 months and still 10 lbs to lose to get back to my pre-stress-induced weight, baking cupcakes should be my last priority. I should be munching on carrot sticks and hitting the gym like a madwoman, but what do I do instead? I bake. And bake some more. And more. I mean yes I could give it away to the neighbors, but….I want it all. Can you tell I’m still struggling with that whole balance thing? Oh well, I still have time to fit into my dress, right?
Here’s a SUPER easy vanilla cupcake recipe, great for last minute occasions when you need something fast. I like to add some vanilla bean seeds as well, but if you don’t have them on hand don’t worry, it’s still delicious! This recipe is from Georgetown Cupcakes.
Yields 20-24 cupcakes.
2 1/2 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
4 ounces unsalted butter
1 3/4 cups sugar
2 large eggs – room temperature
2 1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract (optional: seeds of 1 vanilla bean)
1 1/4 cups whole milk – room temperature
2 sticks unsalted butter – room temperature
1/2 package or 4 oz neufchâtel (lightened up version) or cream cheese – room temperature (i used neufchâtel because i had it on hand, but i usually use cream cheese. either work well)
4 cups powdered sugar, sifted
juice of 1 lime
pinch of salt
1. preheat oven to 350°F
2. line two standard cupcake pans
3. mix or sift together the flour, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl and set aside
4. cream the butter and sugar together in a stand mixer
5. add the eggs one at a time
6. combine the milk with the vanilla (and vanilla bean seeds if using them)
7. alternate adding the flour mixture with the milk mixture, starting and ending with the flour. i did four additions of the flour and three of the milk
8. pour into prepared cupcake pans. a 1/4 cup scoop works really well
9. bake for 12-15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. let cool on a wire rack or pop in the fridge to speed up the process
1. cream together the butter and cream cheese
2. add the powdered sugar – do not overbeat
3. add the salt
4. on medium-low speed add in the lime juice
5. frost cupcakes!
2 thoughts on “Vanilla Cupcakes with Lightened Up Lime Cream Cheese Frosting”
Ooo I love the lime cream frosting addition. Can’t believe I’m just NOW discovering how wonderful this blog is. Also, your hair is gorgeous.
You are so sweet! Thank you!